Tyndall Air Force Base   Right Corner Banner
Join the Air Force

Library > Factsheets > 1st Fighter Squadron (Inactivated Dec. 15, 2006)

1ST FIGHTER SQUADRON (INACTIVATED DEC. 15, 2006)

Posted 12/18/2006 Printable Fact Sheet
 
Photos 
1st Fighter Squadron
1st Fighter Squadron
Download HiRes

Mission

The 1st Fighter Squadron provided fully qualified F-15 Eagle pilots for worldwide assignment by conducting formal ground, simulator, and flight training. The squadron maintained readiness of 25 F-15s to support the 325th Fighter Wing's training mission and continental defense forces. Additionally, the 1st FS provided support personnel and combat ready instructor pilots for contingency war plans and participates in Air Force major command, joint service, and multinational exercises.

History

Constituted as the 1st Fighter Squadron on Oct. 5, 1944 and activated as part of the 413th Fighter Group on Oct. 15, 1945, the squadron flew the P-47 Thunderbolt during World War II, operating from Seymour and Bluethenthal Fields, North Carolina and also at Kadena and Yonton Air Bases, Okinawa. On Ie Shima, an island near Okinawa, the 1st FS launched Thunderbolts against the Japanese, amassing almost 1,200 combat air patrol, bombing, strafing and escort missions. During this era, the squadron emblem was "Miss Fury," the mythical Greek goddess of vengeance, wearing a black form-fitting gown, a cape, and boots and sitting on a white cloud holding a skull. The 1st FS was deactivated Oct. 15, 1946 at the end of the war.

The 1st FS was redesignated the 1st Fighter-Day Squadron on Aug. 26, 1954 and activated as part of the 413th Fighter-Day Wing on Nov. 11, 1954. On July 1, 1958 the squadron was named the 1st Tactical Fighter Training Squadron as part of the 413th Tactical Fighter Wing. The squadron trained pilots, in the F-86 Saber from 1954 to 1956 and the F-100 Super Saber from 1956 to 1959. The 1st TFTS operated out of George Air Force Base, Calif., until it was again deactivated on March 15, 1959 with Lt. Col. Charles E. "Chuck" Yeager as commander.

The squadron was reactivated Jan. 1, 1984 as part of the 325th Tactical Training Wing, at Tyndall AFB, Florida, to train pilots in the F-15 Eagle.

On Sept. 17, 1991, the operations and maintenance functions of the 1st TFTS joined to form a combined squadron. It was renamed the 1st Fighter Squadron. The squadron continues to train F-15 pilots for the combat air forces and has received several honors, such as earning the Air Force Maintenance Effectiveness Award for 1998, Nineteenth Air Force Top Operations Squadron of the Year for 1998, and 325th Fighter Wing Fighter Squadron of the Year for 1995, 1997 and 1998.

Other notable accomplishments include receiving the U. S. Air Force Air Flight Safety of the Year award for 2002, as well as recognition for best intelligence mission report. Also, members received by-name recognition during the 2003 Headquarters Air Education and Training Command Operational Readiness Inspection.

The 1st Fighter Squadron was deactivated on Dec. 15, 2006.







 Inside Tyndall AFB

ima cornerSearch

 




Site Map      Contact Us     Questions     USA.gov     Security and Privacy notice     E-publishing  
Suicide Prevention    SAPR   IG   EEO   Accessibility/Section 508   No FEAR Act