by 2nd Lt. Andrea Valencia
325th Fighter Wing Public Affairs
8/24/2012 - TYNDALL AIR FORCE BASE, Fla. -- The base has activated HURCON 4 to give service members and their families adequate time to prepare for and counter the possible effects of Tropical Storm Isaac. This level predicts there are 96 hours before the arrival of 58 mile-per-hour winds.
The following preparations should be started:
· Secure any loose items and harden or cover all windows at home with plywood if there are no shutters.
· Have a communication plan established that will allow for a constant communication channel with friends and family.
· Fuel all vehicles. Keep at least half a tank of fuel in vehicles at all times even if no hurricane is due.
· Ensure to have adequate cash on hand.
· Ensure disaster supply kit is well stocked with food, water, batteries, toiletries and clothing.
· Gather important documents or place in a fire/waterproof location.
· Have a plan for family members with special medical needs and pets.