Colonel Brian S. Laidlaw is the commander, 325th Fighter Wing, Air Combat Command, Tyndall Air Force Base, Florida. The fighter wing trains and prepares F-22 Raptor pilots, intelligence officers, and maintainers for worldwide assignment to combat Air Force units. The 325th Fighter Wing flies F-22 and T-38 aircraft and sustains ready forces for worldwide deployment in support of combat operations.
As the Installation Commander, Colonel Laidlaw is leading the recovery of Tyndall Air Force Base after taking a direct hit from Hurricane Michael, a category 5 storm. Tyndall hosts 19 tenant units from multiple Major Commands. These supported mission partners include the 1st Air Force, the 601st Air Operations Center, the 53rd Weapons Evaluation Group, the Air Force Civil Engineer Center, the 337th Air Control Squadron, and the 823rd Red Horse Squadron, Detachment 1 (Silver Flag).
Colonel Laidlaw was a Distinguished Graduate of the U.S. Air Force Academy in 1997. Upon completion of Euro-NATO Joint Jet Pilot Training at Sheppard Air Force Base, Texas, he served in multiple fighter assignments flying both the F-15 Eagle and the F-22 Raptor. In addition to his flying assignments, Colonel Laidlaw was a Legislative Fellow in the U.S. Senate, attended the National War College, and served on the Office of the Secretary of Defense staff as a fighter program analyst. Operationally, he has deployed multiple times to the Middle East.
1997 Bachelors of Science in English, U.S. Air Force Academy, Colo.
2003 Squadron Officer School, Maxwell AFB, Ala.
2004 Masters of Science in Leadership and Organizational Effectiveness, Troy University, Ala.
2005 USAF Weapons School Instructor Course, Nellis AFB, Nev.
2007 Air Command and Staff College, by correspondence
2010 Force Legislative Liaison Fellowship, U.S. Senate, Washington, D.C.
2012 Air War College, by correspondence
2015 Masters of Science in National Security Strategy, National War College, Washington, D.C.
1. June 1997 - December 1998, Student, Euro-NATO Joint Jet Pilot Training, Sheppard AFB, TX
2. December 1998 - July 1999, Student, F-15 Formal Training Unit, Tyndall AFB, FL.
3. July 1999 - July 2002, F-15C pilot, Langley AFB, VA
4. July 2002 - January 2005, Flight Commander/F-15 Formal Training Unit Instructor, Tyndall AFB, FL
5. January 2005 - June 2005, Student, F-15 Weapons Instructor Course, Nellis AFB, NV
6. June 2005 - June 2007, F-15 Chief of Weapons and Tactics, Eglin AFB, FL
7. June 2007 - June 2009, F-15 Operations Officer, USAF Weapons School, Nellis AFB, NV
8. June 2009 - January 2011, DoD Legislative Fellow, U.S. Senate, Washington, D.C.
9. January 2011 - May 2011, Student, F-22 Formal Training Unit, Tyndall AFB, FL
10. May 2011 - June 2012, Chief of Standardization and Evaluations, JBER, AK
11. June 2012 – June 2014, Commander, 3rd Operations Support Squadron, JBER, AK
12. June 2014 - June 2015, Student, National War College, Ft. McNair, Washington, D.C.
13. June 2015 - July 2017, CAPE-TACAIR Analyst, Pentagon, Washington, D.C.
14. July 2017 - July 2018, Vice Commander, 325th Fighter Wing, Tyndall AFB, FL
15. July 2018 - present, Commander, 325th Fighter Wing, Tyndall AFB, FL
Rating: Command Pilot
Flight hours: 2,000
Aircraft flown: F-22A, F-15A/B/C/D
MAJOR AWARDS AND DECORATIONS
Meritorious Service Medal with two oak leaf clusters
Aerial Achievement Medal
Air Force Commendation Medal with oak leaf cluster
Air Force Achievement Medal with oak leaf cluster
Combat Readiness Medal with oak leaf cluster
National Defense Service Medal
Armed Forces Expeditionary Medal
Global War on Terrorism Expeditionary Medal
Global War on Terrorism Service Medal
Defense Superior Service Medal
EFFECTIVE DATES OF PROMOTIONS
Second Lieutenant May 1997
First Lieutenant May 1999
Captain May 2001
Major November 2006
Lieutenant Colonel December 2010
Colonel April 2017
(Current as of November 2019)