2nd Fighter Squadron - inactivated May 7 Mission The 2nd Fighter Squadron is an F-15C/D Eagle fighter squadron manned by highly experienced instructor pilots and support personnel employing resources valued at more than $1.1 billion. The squadron trains more than 50 U.S. Air Force active and reserve component F-15 pilots in air dominance missions for worldwide application including training with night vision goggles and the Fighter Data Link. Additionally, the squadron maintains readiness to augment forces in the strategic defense of the continental United States. History Constituted the 2nd Pursuit Squadron on Nov. 20, 1940, it was activated on Jan. 15, 1941. The squadron served in World War II with the 52nd Pursuit Group, and during that period flew the Curtis P-40 Warhawk and Bell P-39 Aerocobra. The 2nd PS also flew combat operations in the Supermarine Spitfire and P-51 Mustang in the European and Mediterranean Theaters, serving specifically in air campaigns in Europe, Algeria-French Morocco, Tunisia, Sicily, Naples-Foggia, Rome-Arno, Normandy, Northern France, Southern France, north Appennines, Rhineland, Central Europe, Po Valley, and performed air combat in the European-African-Middle Eastern Theater. The unit received two Distinguished Unit Citations for operations in Germany and Romania in 1944. Following World War II, the unit was deactivated Nov. 7, 1945 at Drew Field, Fla. The squadron was activated again on Nov. 9, 1946 and was assigned to the 52nd Fighter Group under which it served tours in Schweinfurt and Bad Kissingen, Germany. Returning to Mitchell Field, N.Y., the squadron was designated the 2nd Fighter Squadron and flew the Northrop P-61 Black Widow. In 1949, the squadron was moved to McGuire Field, N.J., where it began flying the North American F-82 Twin Mustang. In 1950, the 2nd FS became the 2nd Fighter All Weather Squadron and was outfitted with the Lockheed F-94 Starfire. One year later the unit was redesignated the 2nd Fighter Interceptor Squadron and began flying the Republic F-84 Thunderjet. Realignment in 1952 saw the 2nd FAWS assigned first to the 4709th Defense Wing, one year later to the 568th Air Defense Group. In 1953, the squadron was introduced to the North American F-86D Sabre Jet. Reassignment to the 52nd Fighter Group took place in August of 1955, and the squadron moved its operations to Suffolk County Air Force Base, N.Y. In 1957, the first delta wing fighter, the Convair F-102 Delta Dagger, was assigned to the unit to be replaced in 1959 with the McDonnell F-101 Voodoo. The squadron flew the F-101 for 10 years before being deactivated in 1969. In 1971, the squadron was reactivated under the 23rd Air Division at Wurtsmith Air Force Base, Mi., flying the supersonic all weather Convair F-106 Delta Dart. The unit received the Air Force Outstanding Unit Award for its activities during 1971-1972 at Wurtsmith, but was deactivated March 31, 1973. In August 1974, the squadron was reactivated and designated the 2nd Fighter Interceptor Training Squadron and was activated at the Air Defense Weapons Center located at Tyndall Air Force Base, Fla., where it continued to fly the F-106. On Feb. 1, 1982, the unit was redesignated the 2nd Fighter Weapons Squadron, and it had the privilege of training the last active duty F-106 pilots. The unit received another Air Force Outstanding Unit Award for its activities during 1981-1982 at Tyndall. In May 1984 the squadron was re-designated as the 2nd Tactical Fighter Training Squadron, and transitioned to the F-15 Eagle and maintains its charge to train pilots for integration into Combat Air Forces worldwide. The 2nd FS also maintains the capability to provide augmentation to air defense forces. On Sept. 17, 1991, following a major Air Force reorganization, the operations and maintenance functions of the 2nd FS joined to form one combined squadron. The name was changed to the 2nd Fighter Squadron on Nov. 1, 1991. The squadron received yet another Air Force Outstanding Unit Award for its activities between 1999 and 2000. The 2nd FS is proud of its long and distinguished 65 years of service and tradition in the defense of American Freedoms and ideals. Commander Lt. Col. Steven Burgh Hometown: Austin, Texas Tyndall AFB Arrival: July 2006 Graduate of: U.S. Air Force Academy Significant Awards: 2008 Commander of AETC Overall Top Operations Squadron Unique Hobbies: Hunting, Fishing and Golf Comm: (850) 283-2904 DSN: 523-2904 For a closer look at Lt. Col. Burgh click here.